Alede




I grunt with disgust as I hear them squiggle, their offensive odor irritating me almost to the point of puking. I am talking about a set of omnivore animals called Pig, Eshi, Alede or Swine amongst various dialect of the world. One thing that is in agreement with all about this set of animal is they are unclean and quite annoying. My vendetta with them emanates from no other source than past experiences with them.

                        *                                              *                                              *

My Uncle had insisted that I travel along with him to supply some of the big restaurants in the capital city live pigs. The demand for pork is had sky rocketed as it is a favourite on the menu of most of the big restaurants in the capital city especially the Chinese restaurants, foreigners will give just anything to have the lively taste of pork in their mouth. As much as it is a favourite among foreigners it is also a favourite of most local people but certainly not my favourite. I hated the idea of traveling with my uncle in his truck and most of all the idea of staying with him in the first place after I had lost my both parent in a fire incident but had no choice since no one else was willing to shoulder my responsibility. Tending to these creatures was tormenting enough but traveling alongside them was the most annoying experience of my life. I was better-off with my uncle traveling the length and breadth of the country making his rounds of supplies by himself but this time I had no choice. He had been the one taking care of me, since I lost both parents to a ghastly motor accident. The most annoying part of the journey was when my uncle pulled over to urinate and asked if I was coming along, I decline because I wasn’t feeling pressed because it was obvious I was traveling because I was compelled to or just returning a lifelong favour, just then one of the pigs pushed its snout through an opening and began to smear my shirt with its offensive snout. I freaked out and almost burst out as I reached for the log of wood my uncle use as a wedge to hit it but had to stop half way before descending the blow as my uncle was approaching the truck. I remember that one; it was one of those pigs I had had an encounter with. It was probably its way of paying me back in its own coin for what I did to it two weeks back, perhaps it was just saying goodbye, glad that I’m leaving you for good.

                        *                                              *                                              *

I had just finished washing the new shirt my uncle bought for me from the capital city and spread it on the cloth line to dry. I was suppose to wear it to Kamal’s birthday party, he had been kind enough to invite me, though he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he treated me no different from his other rich friends, he isn’t like the others who dreaded me like I was a plague because I help my uncle in rearing pigs. I knew it was going to be a big event, so I got prepared for it. I decided to take a nap while the shirt dries only to wake up minutes later to the worst night mare of my life in the day. This black stubborn pig had lifted itself standing on two legs, drag my shirt down from the line with its mouth, immediately the others came rushing as if my shirt had become food.

“Yea!”  I screamed and reached for a big stick beside me racing towards them. It was rather too late; they had dragged my shirt in the mud and were already ripping it apart. I gave them the beating of their life especially the leader of the park, I didn’t feed it for two days, I locked it in a separate compartment in isolation for two days for ruining my chances of attending Kamal’s birthday party. It was lucky that my uncle came back before I set it free and now it is beginning to try my patience a second time.

“What’s the matter?” my uncle asked opening the door.                                                   

“Nothing, I was just weighing the wedge” I lied seeing the questioning look on his face. I knew he didn’t buy into my cheap lie. We continued our journey in silence few kilometers from the capital city, when we heard sounds of tires screeching, cars bumping into one another and decided to pull over quickly, only to behold the worst sight of our lives. The pigs had busted open the back door of the truck and stupidly ran into the busy highway. The damage was grave, I suspected as much that it was that black devil of a pig that had led the park into causing such a disaster, it was obvious they knew they were not coming back once they reach the capital city; where they will end up in the mouth of customers, tooth picks picking out the rest of their ugly remains from the customers’ teeth. As cars tried to dodge them and maneuvered they bumped into each other, the last straw that broke the camel’s back was that one car had tumbled with the passengers sustaining serious injuries. Out of panic I shouted;

“Uncle see blood, Oh! My God what have we done?”

Two persons were confirmed dead and as we were cuffed by police officers, I knew we might not be seeing day light until a very long time, a v-e-r-y long t-i-m-e.

 

 

15th August, 2010

09:09pm

 

 From my forth coming book: Oaks from a Penthouse Orchard

 

 

Comments